The City of Mitchell has opened the application process for medical cannabis dispensary licenses. The application period will be open from Thursday, October 7, 2021 until Friday, October 29, 2021 at 5:00 PM. The City of Mitchell capped the number of medical cannabis dispensaries to five dispensaries within the City limits. Because of this, the City will use a lottery system to determine in what order the applications will be considered. That consideration is expected to occur at the November 15, 2021 City Council Meeting.
The City has created a webpage to outline the requirements established in City Code for Medical Cannabis to help potential applicants find more information on the requirements for medical cannabis within the City of Mitchell. On this page you can find the licensing & zoning information, the application form, the applicable zoning map, contact information for any questions that you may have, as well as any current news releases about the City of Mitchell's Medical Cannabis Program. The City webpage can be found at: www.cityofmitchell.org/MedicalCannabis. Interested applicants will also need to comply with the requirements implemented by the State of South Dakota. For example, currently the state of South Dakota has an application deadline of November 1, 2021 for anyone applying to have a medical cannabis dispensary in a city with a capped number of licenses. The State application can be submitted at the same time as the application to the City of Mitchell. Information on the State's application process and requirements can be found at: https://medcannabis.sd.gov/.
For information on other types of medical cannabis licenses such as cultivation, manufacturing, or testing; please visit www.cityofmitchell.org/MedicalCannabis.
Important Dates and Information for Medical Cannabis Dispensary Applicants:
- Application Period: Thursday October 7, 2021- Friday October 29th at 5:00 PM
- Review of Applications: Completed within five days from October 29, 2021.
- Notice of Lottery: the notice of lottery will be posted to the City's website as a news release at: www.cityofmitchell.org/news and on the City's medical cannabis page www.cityofmitchell.org/MedicalCannabis.
- The City Council will consider applications at the November 15th City Council meeting in the order established by the Lottery. Agendas for the City Council meetings can be viewed at: www.cityofmitchell.org/AgendaCenter.
- Because the City of Mitchell has implemented a cap on the number of medical cannabis licenses; applicants will also need to start the application process with the State of South Dakota prior to the state implemented deadline of November 1, 2021 at the same time that they are applying for a license with the City of Mitchell. For more information, interested individuals can visit: https://medcannabis.sd.gov/