From Compiled Ordinances of 1910
In August, 1879, the original town site of the Town of Mitchell was
platted, and in the spring of 1881, the Town of Mitchell was
incorporated as a village. Village government prevailed until the year
1882, when the Legislature of the Territory of Dakota, which convened at
Yankton, January 9th, of that year, passed a special law vacating and
abolishing the Village of Mitchell.
This law which
was the first charter of the City of Mitchell, designated the following
tract of land as included within the corporate limits of the city, to
wit: All of Sections 21 and 22, the South half of Sections of 16 and
15, and the North half of Sections 27 and 28, of Township 103, North of
Range 60, West of the 5th P.M.
This charter was
amended by the Legislature in 1885, at which time the boundaries of the
city were changed so as to include only the following territory: Section
21, the West half and the Southeast quarter of Section 22, the South
half of Section 16, the South half of the Southeast quarter and the
Southwest quarter of Section 15, and the North half of Sections 27 and
28. Township 103, North, of Range 60, West of the 5th P.M.
On the 5th day of
October, 1903, the city limits of the city were changed by resolution of
the city council, whereby the entire West half of the Northeast quarter
of section 22, Township 103, North of Range 60, was included within the
corporate limits of the City, under the name of F.M. Green's Addition.
A further change
was made on the 6th day of August, 1906, when the city council, by
resolution added the East half of said Section 22, to the city under the
name of Wilkinson's Addition and Martin Gleason's Addition.
In 1887, the
Territorial Legislature enacted a general incorporation act for cities,
and on April 2nd, 1889, the question of whether the City of Mitchell
should become incorporated under this general act, which was known as
Chapter 73, of the General Laws of the Territory of Dakota, for the year
1887, was submitted to a vote of the voters of the City of Mitchell.
resulted as follows: For Incorporation under the general act, 277;
Against such incorporation, 78, and from that time until the present,
the City of Mitchell has existed under this incorporation.
Area Historical Society and the Mitchell Area Genealogical
Society are both located in the former Carnegie Library building
at 119 West Third Avenue, Mitchell, SD 57301 and the building
is also the home of the Clyde and Mary Goin Corn Palace
Collection and ever changing historical displays throughout the
For more information contact www.mitchellcarnegie.com.